Wednesday, September 22, 2010

My friend

Years ago, when I was in 5th grade, a "new" girl came to our school. She was in 4th grade and had long dark hair, and the most beautiful green eyes you'd ever see. She was quiet. I was loud. She was shy, I was outgoing. She wanted to be my friend, I did not. After school one day, I went home and told my mom how this girl from "4th grade" wanted to by my friend and how we were NOT the same age. HOW could we be friends! My mom took my aside and told me a simple truth. "Rachel, if you will be this girl's friend, she will be your friend for life. She will stand by you when life is hard, in good times and bad. Be her friend."

And so, the next day, I took my mom's advice. And little did I know, that day at school, a beautiful friendship was born. An instant friendship was made with the strongest glue possible. We were eternal friends. We went through middle school together...and I hardly have ANY high school memories with her.

The whole time, she claimed she was going to get married at 20. Young. Fall in love, start a family and enjoy being a mom. I, too, wanted that, but wanted to finish college 1st. So plans were made. She'd marry at 20, and I'd marry at 22. Perfect. Done. Deal.

Only Jesus had different plans. He had His ideas too. And slowly, life went on and we both reached 25 without a man in sight. Over the course of our 20's life happens. We both moved to different places and new friends were made...we didn't talk as much but our friendship ran deep. And, even at our worst times...we remained friends.

Two years ago, when I married, I KNEW without a doubt that I couldn't get married unless this girl was by my side. We'd been through so much and I wouldn't of had it any other way.

And, this past Saturday, with tears in my eyes, I stood by her side, and watched as she married the love of her life.

Life changed. Our childhood dreams of being 20 and married had vanished. But, God has plans and His ways are higher than ours. And so, I'd like to introduce you to my eternal friend:
Meet Brook. She's in the black, and I in the red. She's one of the sweetest girls you will ever meet and I love that she allowed me to be apart of her big day. This was the Bridal Luncheon the day before the wedding. What a lovely event.

Brook's grandma praying a blessing over Brook. I had to grab my camera to snap some pictures so we would always remember the moment.


My sweet friend, honestly, I've never seen her happier than on this day! Her face was lit with a look that only love can bring. I know she has prayed for her future husband for years and I know God will bless them as they wait on Him.


My sweet little boy before the wedding!



For years, Brook and I have waited for this moment. We talked about it, dreamed about it, and cried when we thought it would never happen. But, I'm proud to say, that Saturday night it happened. For the 1st time, Brook and I were able to take a picture TOGETHER---with our husbands! No, it wasn't at 20. And not even 25. Yes, we were older than what we dreamed. But, walking in God's Will is the sweetest thing.

So, for the 1st time in our friendship...I'd like to present to you my dearest friend and myself...WITH our husbands:


Brook, we've waited a LONG time for this. I was so honored to be a big part of your day. God bless your marriage as your start your new journey. You will be missed as you move away and start your new life together. But, know that I'm always here. A phone call away. I'll be your biggest fan, cheering you on as a wife and when the time comes, a mom. You have always been such a blessing and I'm honored to call you friend. My mom was right. So glad I listened to her! I love you forever and always....







3 comments:

jessica m said...

Very touching post! *tears*

Stephanie M. Page said...

I loved this post! precious friends are a gift. hugs!

Claire said...

This is so beautiful! I moved around a lot growing up and never was able to keep up with any life long friends. You are blessed!!!